- A 35 liter (approximate) backpack
- A mountaineering/climbing helmet*
- Telescopic hiking poles that fit into your pack (3 sections) or ski poles
- A general mountaineering ice axe
- Twelve-point steel crampons that are sharpened and fit your boots
- Three locking carabiners*
- A belay device (Reverso, ATC-Guide or other device with a guide mode for belaying a second)
- Accessory cord for a friction hitch (150cm of 7mm accessory cord)*
- Headlamp with fresh batteries
*Gear we can provide if necessary. Please let us know before the outing what gear you need.
- Mountaineering boots with a rigid (shank) sole, and with a heel welt for semi-automatic crampons.
- Warm hiking socks (no cotton!)
- Waterproof mountaineering pants or rain pants
- Depending on your pants, long underwear bottoms
- Gaiters (recommended, but depends on your boots and/or pants)
- Waterproof hard shell jacket (Gore-Tex or other)
- Lightweight down/synthetic jacket
- Fleece jacket or warm insulated jacket
- Fast-wicking t-shirt base layer
- Two pairs of gloves (1 lightweight pair and 1 warm)
- Fleece/wool hat (which ideally covers your ears)
- Neck warmer/balaclava
- Baseball cap or sun hat
- High altitude sunglasses (Level 4 UV protection)
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- Water bottle (1.5 liter) or thermos (1 liter)
- Lunch and high-energy snack
- In a Ziploc bag: cash, credit/debit card, health insurance card, proper identification
- Lightweight survival blanket
- Compact camera
For overnight trips
- Spare base layer t-shirt
- Spare pair of hiking socks (not cotton!)
- Lightweight sleeping sack (blankets provided at hut)
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Fully charged mobile phone
- French Alpine Club (CAF) or other alpine club (CAI, BMC, etc.) membership card if you have one, a couple of checks or cash (huts rarely accept debit/credit cards).
A small personal first-aid kit with aspirin or acetaminophen/paracetamol, ear plugs, tissues, and Compeed® for blisters. There is no need for anything else unless otherwise specified by your doctor.
- Some huts have showers. Ask us ahead of time, and if there is a shower make sure you bring a lightweight travel towel and a small amount of soap.